From the Diocese of London website
The Bishop of London, Richard Chartres, joined over two hundred guests at the historic church of St Saviour's in Pimlico at a Mass celebrating the 150th anniversary of its consecration.
The service was just the latest in a series of events marking the anniversary, which have included a summer fair, a murder mystery play and an art exhibition organised by artist and clergyman Fr Regan O'Callaghan. The next event will be a talk on the history of St Saviour's by historian Colin Menzies, which will take place on 16 July.
The celebrations come at a time when St Saviour's is going from strength to strength. As well as being an icon of Pimlico, the building is very much a heart of the community, with the team having opened the doors of the church throughout the week since St George's Day 2012, in keeping with our Capital Vision 2020 pledge to make church buildings more widely available to the community.
St Saviour's Church was consecrated on 16 July 1864, the building having been designed by Thomas Cundy Jnr, son of the great architect and builder of Pimlico. The church has had a number of notable parishioners; Laurence Olivier's father was a curate at St Saviour's and Lord Olivier was a choirboy and boat boy here. Princess Diana also worked in the kindergarten next door.
Fr Matthew Catterick, Vicar of St Saviour's Pimlico, commented:
"Our 150th celebrations have reminded us that we are not here just for ourselves, but for others – and that our buildings provide such a wonderful resource."
To read the sermon given by The Bishop of London, Richard Chartres, please click here