The following article appeared in The Standard on 18 July 1863.
“The Church, which is dedicated to St Saviour’s is in the district of St Gabriel’s and the Parish of St George’s Hanover Square, and is to be erected at the expense of the Marquis of Westminster KG and Mr George Cubitt MP for East Surrey, and will have an Ecclesiastical District assigned to it, the Revd John Walker MA being the first incumbent.
“The proceedings connected with the inauguration of the new buildings were of a somewhat unusual character. “A surplice choir, consisting of a large number of men and boys from St Gabriel’s, St James the Less, and other adjacent Churches, assembled in the open square, an a procession having been formed, moved on to the ground and marched out to the site.
“They were followed by the Revd Brymer Belcher, Vicar of St Gabriel’s, Revds Ridley, Antrobus, Scott, Walker, Dickson and other Priests in surplices, the Earl and Countess of Grosvenor, Mr Cubitt MP, Mr Thomas Cundy (the architect) and several parishioners.
“As they entered the grounds they sang an appropriate psalm with great effect. Prayers having been offered, the noble Earl laid the corner stone in the name of the Trinity.” It may be remembered that the stone laying took place on a lovely warm afternoon in June, and there was a large crowd to witness the ceremony. A procession in the open air was then a great novelty, and many people marvelled at seeing it.